A Special Postal Cover to commemorate the Doyen of Urology, Prof.Hattangadi Shashidhar Bhat- on the occasion of decennial of department of Urology Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore was released on 1st March 2022.
Prof H Sashidhar Bhat is regarded as father of Indian Urology. The teaching department founded by him at Christian Medical College Vellore way back in 1965, reckoned as the first of its kind, lead to the formation of second and third generations of teaching units all over the country. The department of Urology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore is one such unit which is celebrated its decennial in 2022. On this occasion, the department sponsored the release of a special postal cover by India Posts to commemorate the pioneering work of the doyen, which was released on the foundation day of the department on 1st March. Dr Bhat was close to the visionary educationist and the founder of Kasturba Medical College, late Padmashree Dr T M A Pai under whose supervision and direction, the second generation department of urology had been commissioned in Manipal in 1977 with Prof P Venugopal as the head.
About the cover:
1. The special cover is being released during amritkal and the amritmahotsav logo is featured as a mandatory requirement.
2. Prof Bhat, the legend commemorated is placed at the feet of mother India
3. The symbol of Urology is placed near projected point of Vellore, where Dr Bhat served most and founded the first ever Urology department.
4. Spreading arrows indicate that the specialty of urology spread all over the country thereafter.
5. The surgical instrument spectroscope which revolutionized urological work is depicted above Dr Bhat's quote
6. Dr Bhat's inspirational quote is reproduced at the bottom.
7. The watermark shows our luxuriant west coast to indicate that Dr Bhat hailed from Hattangadi in the erstwhile South Kanara district
8. The cancellation shows the urinary tract.
Courtesy: Dr.G.G.Laxman Prabhu.